Hey, neighbors. Happy 4th of July! It’s Monday in Miami and I’m back in your inbox with everything you need to know about what’s happening in our community today. Here’s the lowdown.
First, today’s weather:
An afternoon thunderstorm. High: 89 Low: 81.
👀 Attention local businesses & marketers: Attract more customers in Miami by sponsoring this daily newsletter, which gets read by the same people you’re trying to reach. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories in Miami today:
1. The Fourth of July is here in the Miami area. Patch has a guide of what’s open and closed today. Most local facilities and government offices will be closed to observe the holiday. (Miami Patch)
2. Nearly 5 million travelers have been screened by TSA since Thursday. 4,934,961 between Thursday and Friday, to be exact. 145,000 travelers are expected every day at Miami International Airport for the holiday. (NBC Miami)
3. Enterprise Florida will provide $5 million to help Miami host games in the 2026 FIFA World Cup soccer tournament. Miami is one of 11 cities chosen in the United States for the World Cup, along with three in Mexico and two in Canada. (CBS Miami)
4. Lehman Dealership Enterprises, a family-owned business with over 80 years in South Florida’s market, has sold its auto business to Lithia & Driveway. Oregon-based Lithia & Driveway also announced the purchase of two Esserman International stores in Miami-Dade County. (Miami Today)
5. Plans for a redevelopment at the former Miami Arena were filed with the Federal Aviation Administration this month by the Witkoff Group. The development is planned to become the largest residential project by unit count in downtown Miami’s history. (The Next Miami)
Help us make this newsletter better!
We’ve been getting so much positive feedback about the Miami Daily that we’re starting to get a big head. Want to bring us back down to earth with some constructive feedback? If so, take our simple — and quick! — reader survey. Your feedback will help us make sure we’re covering the kind of local news, events and scuttlebutt you really care about. And it will help us toward our goal of being an indispensable local resource and the last email you’d ever unsubscribe from.
We’d be so appreciative of your feedback that, if you take the survey, we’ll enter your email address in a drawing for a small mountain of Patch swag. You know you want that tote bag — so click the link and give it to us straight. Thank you!
Today in Miami:
- Celebrate 4th of July at Balan’s Brickell. (8 a.m.)
- July 4th Brunch at Batch Gastropub: Miami. (11:30 a.m.)
- Celebrate Fourth Of July at Le Chick! (12:00 PM)
- 4th Of July Rooftop BBQ And Celebration at Moxy South Beach. (6 p.m.)
- 2022 Miami 4th Of July Fireworks Cruise. (7:30 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- A Chicago-based developer has obtained an $83.32 million construction loan to build an apartment complex in downtown West Palm Beach. The development will feature 264 units, 7,834 sq. ft. of retail, and 371 parking spaces in two eight-story buildings called Cielo. (Subscription: South Florida Business Journal)
- The Esmé, a new hotel on South Beach, features historic Spanish architecture, food, and drinks. The hotel has 8 buildings that have 145 guest rooms as well as five restaurants and bars. One highlight, Bar Pintxo, has a nod to a Basque pintxo bar with tapas, beer, wine, and Basque cider for guests to enjoy. (The Daily Beast)
- A Fort Lauderdale man, who has a flag supporting Ukraine in the war against Russia at his home, woke up to find his garage door vandalized with hate symbols Sunday morning. Neighbors witnessed the incident, which occurred on Northeast 59th Street and 18th Terrace at around 11:41 p.m. on Saturday, according to the homeowner. (NBC Miami)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Online Downsizing Auction, Italian Furniture, Pool Table & Decor @ Miami Beach $4.5 M Penthouse (July 5)
- Siempre Flamenco/New Visions (July 10)
- Online webinar about braces and invisalign in North Miami (July 13)
- Add your event
- 4TH of July Laptop Sale | Buy Exciting Electronics Products on Fazter | Independence Day Sale (Details)
- Add your item
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Monday. I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow with your next update!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Miami Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org